You are invited to submit your honey and hive Products to BHCPA’s BEST OF B.C. COMPETITION.
General Rules for Competition:
- 1. Participation is open to all members of the BCHPA and there is no entry fee.
2. There is no limit on the number of classes to be entered by an individual, only one entry per class.
3. All entries must be submitted to the entry desk no later than Saturday, 9:00 am. on the date of the AGM Conference.
4. Once exhibits are delivered to the Judge’s table, participants cannot touch entries until the competition is over.
5. Labels or any distinctive design that could identify the exhibitor will not be allowed on the entries until judging is complete.
6. It is the responsibility of the exhibitor to see that their entries are correctly classified, tagged and entry form completed.
Rules for Honey Competition:
1. The exhibitor must colour grade their entry using the Canada Honey Classifier prior to registration.
2. All entries of honey must be the product of the exhibitor’s apiary from the current year and prepared by the exhibitor.
3. Of the three jars submitted, one will be returned, one will be used as a sampler for the People Choice Awards and the third (optional donation) will be auctioned off as part of the event fundraising. Please acknowledge your donation on your entry form.
Rules for Beeswax:
- Beeswax must be submitted in a 500g or 1 lb. block. Please submit 2 samples.
Rules for Mead Competiton:
1. Entries should consist of 2 clear/plain bottles approximately 500 – 750 ml.
2. Entries must consist of mead made from the exhibitor’s own honey.
3. The entry form will specify class, type, fruit and style.
4. One entry will be used for judging and the second (optional) will be auctioned off as part of the event fund raiser. Please acknowledge your donation on your entry form.
|Class #||Class / Category||Description (without labels)|
|1A||Liquid White||3 – Jars 500g or 1 lb.|
|1B||Liquid Golden||3 – Jars 500g or 1 lb.|
|1C||Liquid Amber||3 – Jars 500g or 1 lb.|
|1D||Liquid Dark||3 – Jars 500g or 1 lb.|
|2||Frames of Honey||1 – Standard Deep, Dadant, or Shallow Frame|
|3||Creamed Honey||3 – Jars 500g or 1 lb.|
|4||Cut Comb||2 – Boxes of Cut Comb|
|5||Chunk Honey||1 – Jar 500g or 1 lb.|
|6||Beeswax||2 – 500g or 1lb Blocks|
|7A||Mead – Traditional||2 – Clean Plain Bottles|
|7B||Melomel – Fruit||2 – Clean Plain Bottles|
|7C||Metheglin – Spiced||2 – Clean Plain Bottles|
|7D||Mead – Carbonated||2 – Clean Plain Bottles|
|7E||Braggot||2 – Clean Plain Bottles|
1. Judges will score using the BC Agriculture Standards for Perfection.
2. Entries will be judged commencing Saturday, 10:00 am. Winners will be announced at the Banquet Dinner Saturday evening.
3. Ribbons for first (blue), second (red) and third place (green) will be awarded in each category.
4. Best of Show will be awarded to the highest aggregate score in all classes by an individual.
5. People Choice Honey Award will be given for the honey selection with the most votes during the reception and banquet evening.
6. Note: This is strictly a friendly competition so bring along your best product and leave fears at the door, especially if this is your first competition. This is how we learn and improve (one learns best from our mistakes). Self-satisfaction and admiration from your peers will be the real prize.
1. The contestant will bring in their entries in person to the Contest Registrar at the event. They will fill out the Individual Registration Sheet.
2. All entries must be submitted to the entry desk no later than Saturday, 10:00 am. on the date of the AGM Conference.
3. The exhibitor must colour grade their honey entry using the Canada Honey Classifier prior to registration.
4. Results and awards will be given at the Saturday evening banquet.